Thursday 8 May 2014

8 Phrases To Erase From Your Vocabulary


Here is a list of redundant phrases I obtained from Mickie Kennedy (CEO of Erelease) you should eliminate from your writing and speaking and improve your business etiquette.
1. Positive improvement. As opposed to negative improvement?
2. End result. The result of something takes place at the end. Cut the word “end.”
3. Collaborate together. When you collaborate, you’re working with others. The word “together” is redundant.
4. Past history.  All history is in the past.
5. Serious crisis. I don’t have to tell you that it’s serious. All crises are serious.
6. Totally unique. There aren’t degrees of unique. Something is either unique or it isn’t.
7. Unexpected surprise. If you’re expecting something to happen, it’s not a surprise.
8. Unintended mistake. If you intended for something to happen, it wasn’t a mistake; it was a poor decision.
What are some unnecessary phrases that drive you crazy?
Stop using non-committal language.
If someone asks you if you can please do something-don’t answer:
“I should be able to”
“I’ll try”
“I’ll see if I can work on it.”
Commit yourself and answer: “Yes I will do it by end of today” Give a timeline when you believe the task will be accomplished by – if this can’t be met keep the person updated.


For more information on our communication skills & business etiquette programmes click here or contact us on info@profimpressions.co.za or call 011 469 1396

1 comment:

  1. brilliant post with relevant examples, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading this post. In fact, I have included this post in one of the posts of my blog.

    ReplyDelete